Any sign of incontinence is something you should mention to your doctor. Whether you just feel like you need to go more than usual, you’re waking up at night to use the restroom or you feel little bladder leaks in your underwear every once in a while.
Why Tell Your Doctor about Urinary Incontinence?
Bladder control problems are generally a side effect of another issue. Some of these issues are just a part of life – pregnancy, aging, weight gain and other situations can naturally lead to urinary incontinence. And that’s OK!
However, some incontinence can be a sign of a bigger problem that needs addressed, especially if you are losing total control or your urination is painful. Your doctor will be able to tell pretty quickly what’s going on. That’s why any amount of urinary leaking or increased bathroom urges is worth a mention.
What Your Doctor Will do
First, your doctor will ask you questions, probably do an examination and possibly some tests. Here a few possible tests:
- Urodynamic tests check the function of your urethra and bladder.
- Postvoid residual volume tests measure how much urine is left after you go to the bathroom.
- A stress test checks to see if you have bladder leaks after coughing.
- A cystoscopy is a lighted tube and lens that lets the doctor see into your bladder.
- A dye test is when you drink non-toxic dye and wear a special pad that catches your dyed urine to measure urine loss and leakage.
Treatments Your Doctor May Suggest
There are many urinary incontinence treatment options for. Some include:
- Lifestyle changes (like weight loss)
- Kegel exercises
- Physical therapy
- Bulking agents
Many times, your doctor will suggest a combination of treatments for the best results. It all depends on your unique body and medical conditions.
What You Can do Now
While you wait to see your doctor, you can take some steps on your own. Stop at your local store to browse our line of incontinence products. They aren’t what you think of as adult diapers. Always Discreet liners, pads and underwear will give you discreet, move-all-you-want protection that fits your size and the severity of your of bladder leaks. If you’re not comfortable looking at the store, you can check out our whole line of incontinence products online and even order for shipping right to your door!